Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cultural Etiquette

  • Request your bill by making a writing motion with your hand.
  • To beckon someone, extend your arm, palm down, and make a scratching motion with your fingers.
  • Never point with your index finger. This is used only for animals. Point with your hand open.
This will be a difficult gesture for me to get used to!
  • Tea is the customary beverage for all occasions. Your teacup will be refilled continually. Leave your cup full if you are finished.
They don't appreciate putting sugar and cream! I need my sugar and cream!
  • It is bad manners for a host not to keep a guest's plate full, and it is even worse for a guest not to continue eating as long as the plate is full. Always leave some food on your dish after you are finished with each course. Otherwise the host will continue refilling your plate or bowl.
No problem with this one! I have always left a bite or two on my plate.
  • The Chinese find belching, slurping, clanging utensils and making loud noises at the dinner table acceptable, sometimes even complimentary.
  • Wear a good watch. It will be noticed.
Gotta get me a nice rowlex!
  • Gift giving is a tradition in Hong Kong that communicates respect and friendship. Be prepared to present a small gift at the first meeting, such as high-quality cognac, brandy, candy or pens. Unlike other Asian countries, Scotch whiskey is not special in Hong Kong.
I plan on getting some Georgetown College pens to give to people. This will be my gift to those who are meeting me at the airport! BROWNIE POINTS!
  • Never go to a Chinese home without a gift.
  • The Chinese are famous for communicating by "Saying it without saying it." You will have to learn to read between the lines.

2 comments:

  1. Jon I am looking forward to keeping up with you while your in Hong Kong!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks kristin! I am looking forward to keeping everyone posted - i know some crazy things are bound to happen!

    ReplyDelete