Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Socio-Economic Situation

In an earlier post I informed you guys that I will be living on campus with other exchange students. These students will be coming from all around the world - but mainly Europe. I've got a feeling that they have some stereotypical views about me as an American.
They might assume that I am wealthy. WRONG.
God has blessed this opportunity for me and my family by eliminating all major costs!
I hope to be able to explain to them that their assumption is wrong by making them aware of my family situation. My parents can't afford to pay for me to live in HongKong for a year. I can't either obviously. My dad is a minister and my mom goes to college! I don't want them to think that we are dirt poor, but I do want them to realize that we don't drive a Mercedes Benz and go to parties with Paris Hilton.
I've learned from my research on Hong Kong that the people dress well. Let me explain further: What do 75% of students at Georgetown College wear to class? SWEATPANTS AND HOODIES
As for HongKong students, they wear smart casual always. If I walk into class with a hoodie and sweatpants, I probably will get some weird looks. So, maybe one day I will proudly wear my G-town sweats and hoodie so that they can visually see that I am not rackin' the dow (that's to have a lot of money mom, dad, and all others unable to translate).

3 comments:

  1. It is so cool to see how God has provided where He has led! I believe He will continue to guide you on this awesome journey:) I'm really enjoying reading your blog and you're still here with us, so I'm sure they're just going to get better when you're 8 or 9 thousand miles away. I love you Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon I remember when we were in Uganda about 4 years ago...just because we were from America, we were considered wealthy. It's a stereotype that is worldwide...but I like you, rich?? Depends on how you define "rich"...I'm an extremely wealthy man, but not monetarily, but because of my relationships...my family, friends and most importantly because of my relationship with God. You too are a rich man...and to have a benz, hmmmm if I had to have one then bring it on! Love ya man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the input Jeff. You brought up a good point that I didn't really unpack from the Scripture passage this morning on the rich man. How does one define rich? I think for me, I am much the same as you. I am much richer in possessions than most in Africa. I am fit for a king when it comes to how rich my relationships are because of how blessed I am with a loving family and supportive friends - and yes, a faithful Father in heaven who reigns forevermore! Maybe in some ways their stereotype is correct, but I hope to show them how I am blessed, not spoiled! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete