Friday, July 10, 2009

Hong Kong Baptist University

Yesterday the FedEx guy left me an obvious important document. I knew it was from Hong Kong Baptist University, and I was so excited to open it! Inside was my visa and student handbook! I know it doesn't sound very exciting to you, but oh my gosh I have a visa to live on the other side of the world as a student for 10 months!!! Not much else excites me more than that.

Anyway, I have a lot of reading up to do and sadly more papers to fill out before it's all said and done. I'd love to inform my few readers of what I know of HKBU so far. They are obviously flourishing with Christianity - I know this because they have many, muchos churches surrounding them and the handbook has an insert of the churches close by and encourages us to get involved. That I have! God's business involves relationships, in other words - connections. In the early stage of my decision to study here a few months back, I talked with a dear missionary friend of mine. She hooked me up with someone she knew attending one of the churches near HKBU, which just so happens to be one of the churches listed in the handbook. I have already contacted them about my desire to find a church to serve at and they are looking forward to meeting me and have welcomed me to worship God with them! I am so thankful that God has once again placed someone in my path. He is always taking care of me and is always faithful.

Now to more nitty and gritty information about Hong Kong. The population is 7 million and 95% are Chinese. Surprisingly much of Hong Kong is conserved parkland. 10% are Christians - this is possible in Hong Kong because their government is a limited democracy. Their legal system is based on English common law. Their executive leader is President Hu Jintao. Their economy is heavily correlated with mainland China. HKBU has about 8000 students. I will be staying in one of the many 21 floor dormitories. My means of transportation will be bicycle and bus most of the time. And I will be roomates with a Chinese student whom I do not know exactly yet. If you have any other questions about the university or whatever else please ask. I have much to learn and your questions will force me to find answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment