Sunday, July 12, 2009

Prep Course 1: Why Study Abroad?

Top Eleven Reasons

1. It's my calling - Matthew 28: 19-20 Jesus says, "Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

2. Studying abroad is a life-altering experience!
Studying and living in a different culture will help me see the world from a completely different perspective. It's an amazing experience that will change my life. I hope to change the lives of others as well through my experience.

3. Learn a language in the country where it is spoken.
The only way for me to truly become fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese is to be immersed in it. If I study a language for several years and want to gain fluency, study abroad.

4. Learn about myself and gain independence.
Studying abroad is a chance to challenge myself with situations that will test my abilities to adapt and learn. I feel that this year will finally break me free from depending on my parents for practically everything.

5. Step out of my comfort zone and reap the benefits.
Studying abroad is a chance for me to step outside of the ordinary and experience a culture completely different from America.

6. Resume builder.
In today's global economy, studying abroad can be a vital element in a college education. Many companies increasingly desire leaders who can live successfully in a variety of countries and work with staff from different cultural backgrounds. I know attending this baptist university will make me one step closer to God's career calling for my life as an international missionary.

7. If it's free, it's me!
Praise the Lord! The tuition for HKBU is half the price of Georgetown College. Even better, I still get to use my scholarship money from Georgetown and account it all for HKBU! I don't even have to pay for my plain ticket or books! I couldn't say no to this amazing offer.

8. Living out the life of a Global Scholar
Studying abroad offers me the opportunity to live out my expectations as a Global Sholar. How can I go on representing a program as one who desires for globalization to occur, when I haven't even lived abroad? I can't wait to boost the program on my return by sharing my testimony with younger scholars and make them aware of the opportunity they have as a Global Scholar.

9. See the world (or at least a part of it).
Most people travel for a week or two each year if they're lucky! I get to dive in to one of the largest cities in the world! I can hardly wait to start memorizing the area and knowing what restaurants have the best food and what stores have the best souvenirs. The list goes on in this neverending city.

10. Make connections that can last a lifetime.
I can't wait to network with fellow students, teachers, host families, professionals, churches, and missionaries. It's not what ya know, it's WHO ya know!

11. International travel and study are fun and exciting.
Merely stating the obvious! I am going to have a blast in Hong Kong. No doubt about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment