Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Whole New World


Hello Everyone!

Wow, have I had an exciting week! I cannot begin to tell you all of the things I have seen, heard, and learned sequentially! However, I look forward to sharing some key experiences with you.
There is so much to do here and so many places to go to! The city is unbelievable. I couldn't have asked for a better program or opportunity for the stage of life I am in.
I have met so many people. Let me introduce you to a few.


Andy Rose: Godsend. This 21 year old student is from Baylor University - the Baptist university in Texas that I almost went to! He, like me, has a passion for the Gospel and came to HongKong with the intent of growing spiritually and learning from a cross-cultural standpoint. He is the answer to my prayers. And boy is it odd that his name is Andy Rose. Why? Because the two main prayer warriors who were praying for me to find an accountability partner while abroad were Andy Hardin and Brandon Rose! God has a good sense of humor, I don't care what you say!

Matthias: This is my favorite character that I have met so far. He is so funny, and we just really have become good friends. Interestingly enough, he is from Germany! This whole week (each day if I recall correctly) Matthias and I have traveled together with a few others - usually including Andy and our other German friends Max and Dennis - to site see. Oh has it been a blast! This city has so many tourist sites...this first week has been a vacation no doubt about it! I have learned much about Germany that is very interesting. For example, many exchange students are from Germany because they are able to have their tuition payed for by the government. How nice! Also, there is not many religious people there because he is from the east Germany whom have been suppressed to be religious. I've had great conversations with him so far. He also helped me shop for my new camera (FujifilmF70EXR). I bought it at MongKok Computer Center and got a great package deal with his assistance. He is quite knowledgeable with photography thankfully!

Jessica: Beautiful girl whom I only call friend as of now, from Guangzhou - Capital city of Guangdong Province in Southern China. She is so smart, speaking Cantonese/Mandarin/English well. Studying at Beijing. Daughter of a former Chinese Government Official. It seems that she only needs to improve her English. Hong Kong is the perfect place for people like her to do so. This is because Hong Kong is multilingual and to be at a University setting is the perfect way for her to practice speaking English....well, because she can meet someone like me :) She has taught me so much about the Chinese language and culture and I am so glad that I met her. While I help her with English, she is helping me with Mandarin and Cantonese and informing me of many cultural things.


The people whom I have met are just a small portion of what I have experienced thusfar. I have also done quite a bit of traveling this week. From Lok Fu to Peak View, I have checked many sites off the list already! Transportation is amazing here and affordable. One just needs an "Octopus Card" to use for MTR, Bus, Vending Machines, and many Restaurants. I even get a 50% off student discount for the MTR :) how nice of them to do this for us!
Tonight, I just got back from seeing the nightly light show that goes on at the Victoria Harbour. Amazing and beautiful! Night life is rather exciting here, but mainly enjoyed by the "crazy Europeans" in the exchange program, lol. Just a prime example of the clash of cultures here in Hong Kong. This is nothing new to the locals, however, as they have been accustomed to internationalization for a while now. It just doesn't get much better than this as far as globalization. Being a Global Scholar, one would need to put this city on there top 5 picks for studying abroad. I didn't expect it to be so diverse here, but let me assure you that it is in fact diverse. Especially for the student at the university.
I have also stepped away from the modern culture and seen a more ancient side of this region. Just taking a short train ride to Tung Chung, one can take a bus ride to see the Big Buddha. This is the biggest bronze statue of Buddha in the world. It is rather amazing how it majestically sits on a mountain peak and is surrounded by beautiful mountains and looking out to the sea. Just a taste of everything here geographically. But this site was much more peaceful than the hussle and bussle of Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. Check out my album on facebook, but here is one photo:

2 comments: