Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Beautiful Family

As I make it through my second week here in HongKong, I am already reminded of how lucky I am. I have a family that loves and cares for me. They all support my desire to study abroad, they all want me to pursue my dreams. I really couldn't ask for a better family. Seeing these family pictures makes me so happy and a little bit homesick.
I have already begun to experience the stage after the "honeymoon". My first week was exhilarating! I saw so much and had the time of my life. Now, I must overcome this homesickness. This is good, however. Why? Because it's apart of my growth as an individual. I'm only 18, but I'm beginning to see already what independence is all about. Especially when it means living 9,000 miles away.
Depression is not something I will struggle with. This is because I am still having the time of my life here. I am doing what I love most in life - sharing Christ with people from different cultures. Even better, I have the opportunity to learn Chinese, which has been my career goal since I was a junior in high school. Time flies by, doesn't it? But I am content because I know that am striving to live my life worthy of the calling I have received from Jesus Christ. My calling is to make disciples.
This post is a special one for me because it is in direct response to my parents. They have shaped me into the man that I am today. Without their example, I would surely not be the same.
As for the Chinese, they are so welcoming. Everyone smiles and waves and is friendly to me when I walk by. I feel at home here. They have such a deep and ancient culture. It is so unique in comparison to our country's young history. I am learning so much about tea, the language, and even philosophies. I hope to gain a better perspective of the Eastern world so that I can begin to relate to them better as I share my own upbringing in the Western world. Stay tuned for my next post, which will probably be about tea...it's so interesting believe it or not!

...By the way...I really miss Fudge:( I'm sure she is wondering where I am and why I haven't been there to pet her and kiss her like I always do every time I see her.

1 comment:

  1. just so you know...i'm homesick for you too, but the thing that keeps me smiling is knowing what an awesome opportunity you have and how much fun you're having. I wouldn't want to ruin that for you for anything in the world...so I just keep smiling! Thinking of different ways I can encourage you, love you and support you!...your dad too...we're just so blessed to have you, Em and Wes:) Hang in there and know we're right here praying for you and waiting for you to return with so many life experiences to share! I love you Jon:)

    ReplyDelete