Friday, September 18, 2009

Wan Chai 灣仔

Harbour

Thursdays are my days for adventure. I don't have class until 4:30, so I love to go exploring Hong Kong during this day of the week. Today's destination: Wan Chai. My reasoning for going here was for obtaining my Hong Kong Identification Card, and also to begin the process for collecting my China Visa (it takes 4 days).
A number of interesting things happen when you go out into a city like Hong Kong by yourself. Especially when I am always looking for opportunities to share Christ, or just be Christ-like towards others.

When I arrived at Wan Chai station via MTR, I immediately saw foreigners everywhere. Not just that, but businessmen. Wan Chai is the first destination for any foreigner coming into Hong Kong, whether to do business, site-see, or live. Because everyone has to go to the Immigration Tower. There is a beautiful park at the base of the tower. Yet, right next to the park is the busiest street ever. And right above the street is a bridge with crazy amounts of people walking across. Not just one bridge, but maybe 5. Even crazier, the whole building and even a couple of the bridges are made out of some shiny marble that looks really expensive.

After I got my Hong Kong Identification Card, I went to McDonald's for lunch. No, I do not usually go to McDonald's for lunch. The reason for this time was because when I opened up my account with Bank of East Asia, they gave me a gift certificate for a free meal at McD's. So, there I was, eating a Big n' Tasty with fries and a coke "supersized". Typical American, as the locals would say! But, actually, I'm very glad I went. Let me explain the culture of eating in Hong Kong. There are so many people that it's usually difficult to find a seat.
So, people just sit down wherever they can - even if it's with someone they don't know. I have gotten accustomed to this cultural aspect, and noticed an African couple walking into the seating room. I could tell they were tourists and had no idea where to sit. Realizing this, I waved at them and asked them to come sit with me. I don't know why I did this, but I did - and I'm glad I did. The man was very friendly and they both spoke good English. I asked them where they were from, and they told
me Uganda. They were on vacation and staying in Tsim Sha Tsui for site-seeing Hong Kong. He noticed that I was wearing a Rajon Rondo jersey from the Boston Celtics, and so we started talking about Hasheem Thabeet, who is the first Tanzanian basketball player to make it in the NBA. This immediately led me to tell him that my dad was just recently in Tanzania. When he asked me if he was doing business there, I told him he was working for the Tanzanian Baptist Convention. I didn't even have to explain myself because he smiled and immediately knew that my dad was a preacher. We exchanged business cards, and I hope to keep in touch with him. Maybe even have lunch again before he and his wife head back to Uganda. His name was Arthur and his wife's name was Aiishi.
This made me smile as I walked off because I knew without a doubt that God had planned that appointment. The International Mission Board refers to this as a "divine appointment". That it was!
Next stop: China Resources Building. I needed to wait in a long line for turning in my application for a visa to Mainland China. I would be first getting a double entry visa, and then after I go twice I will get my multi entry visa. Well, the wait was atrocious. But I couldn't let a long line keep me from going to China. There's not many other places that excite me more than that of China. It seems like a mystery to most of us, and I want to begin understanding this mystery personally.
So everyone had to leave and they told us to come back at 2 pm because they were closing for a few hours! I was disappointed because it was only 12pm.
I went to a local park, and it was beautiful. Surrounded by tall buildings and somehow this park was still very serene and peaceful. I sat down on a ledge in the middle of a small bridge. It was nice to just sit and people watch. Five minutes of sitting goes by, and then suddenly a Chinese woman decides to sit down next to me. She was obviously curious to why I was there, because I was the only white man there. She didn't really speak English, so I took this as an opportunity to practice my mandarin. Wow, was this cool! She actually understood me, and we had a conversation. A couple times I had to apologize for knowing little Putonghua, but it was so exciting to actually utilize what I had learned independently these past couple of years. I just couldn't have this experience in Kentucky. Simply no way. Sure, I was horrible and probably didn't make much sense to her. But I spoke Chinese! This is my first step to fluency - even if there are 100 more steps to go. Which reminds me; I haven't even been here for one month. I'm anxious to see how far I will have come by the end of my second semester here.

After my stroll in the park, I went up to the Pacific Coffee Company (which competes heavily with Starbucks here and seems to be winning). There was a gorgeous view of the harbour from here. In fact, the view is the picture at the top of this post.
Anyways, during my waiting period here a Buddhist monk comes up to me! Yes, that's right - those bald men who wear orange robes! Well, he asked me to donate to their cause. Just expected me to pull out some doe...I'm like "sorry dude" I'm a college student. He was a bit saddened and walked off. I felt bad, but as I began to think another guy walks up to me! This time it's some middle eastern man from Singapore. He tells me there's a dot on my forehead and it saying I'm going to be a successful man. He just keeps rambling about luck and karma and how I'm going to have successful love and I'm like a rose. I tried to interrupt him to ask him a question, but he was so persistent on fortelling my future. He gave me a little ball, and asked me to give him paper money for his cause, which seemed to be the same as the monk I just saw. However, this guy had a turban on and a button-up shirt and tie, so I was perplexed. I just told him "I don't want to be successful". He was amazed at my comment, and then he said, "you will find successful love". I told him I already have through Jesus Christ. I then showed him my cross knecklace and then explained to him that I was a Christian. Then he asked me, "where are you from?" So, I told him the United States. He then said, "do you know Jesus was from Israel, not US?" I said yes, and then I went on to say, "but Jesus came to save all peoples of all nations." Then he gave me a grimace that I will never forget and stomped away.
I don't know if I said the right things, but I do know that this was a great experience for me. I feel that God was testing me as how confident I am in my faith. I hope I passed the test. But I definitely need to be more aware of those who are in opposition to Jesus Christ.
After this, I took the deepest breath I had ever taken in my life. Knowing where you stand in life is a good feeling. I knew instinctively that I needed to stand for Christ. Doing this on my own on the other side of the world was no doubt an invigorating experience! Please comment on this, seeing as I still am unsure on whether what I said was good, or even what I didn't say. Just give me your opinion. You won't offend me, I promise.


9 comments:

  1. Jon that is very impressive. I believe what you did and said was just fine. With what you said you made your friends, family, and most of all Jesus Christ proud. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks wade. I appreciate your support a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Jon! I've been praying that you would have LOTS of divine appointments. God has a huge purpose for having you there, and I'm honored to pray as you follow after Him. Keep telling and loving...and I'll keep praying!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonathan,

    I'm praying for you today, that our God will keep you safe and healthy as you begin your time at HKBU.

    I served as a foreign missionary for a few months during college (and of course now a "domestic" one at GC!), so I spent quite a bit of time around folks trapped in false religions. It was important for me to remember that while the people might not have been malicious (sometimes), they were caught in the grip of the evil one, and their eyes were blinded. That's why the very name of Jesus can be so offensive.

    Keep praying for the people you meet, offering kindness, a listening ear, and the truth about Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Kyle. I appreciate your prayers and words of wisdom. My personal testimony and my desire to share and live the life of Christ has already rippled into the lives of the Chinese here. I'm honored to take part in the inevitable glorification of our Lord and Savior. God is showing me his power and love in many ways - and it's no surprise. Unfortunately I had a bad perspective initially - thinking God was less present in the East. Not so, continue to pray that I can be a light to the darkness that exists here as well. I know that by his grace I will be unashamed of the Gospel and share it with the friends I make here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon...I hope you don't mind that I have some secular questions for you which don't have much to do with your post.

    I'm from California Lutheran University and I am planning to study abroad at HKBU in Spring 2010.

    I was just wondering about the cultural differences....were the accents hard to understand at first?

    Also...I read that most people in Hong Kong (Hong Kongers?) speak Cantonese. Would it be very difficult to get by with only English and French?

    Are foreign students placed in Chinese language courses automatically? What are roommates like? Was there any cultural protocol you had to learn?

    Also....how does the whole air conditioning thing work out? Do people eat on or off campus normally? Do students speak English? Are there lots of international students?

    I have so many questions for you!

    Please don't bother with them if you haven't got any time though.

    Thank you!

    -Mangala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, many questions indeed! But I hope I can help you out by giving you brief answers.

    I'm glad you chose HKBU, I will see you in the Spring because I will still be here for my second semester of exchange.

    1.)Accents are hard at first because your in a impressive program of 200 students from 30 different countries around the world. English is the common language, obviously. So if it is your first language it is easier to adjust. If not, you may find yourself tempted to hang out with your fellow countrymen. I have noticed this for those who have learned English as their second language.

    2.)Yes, every local here speaks Cantonese. They also speak English because they have studied it quite a bit, but it's difficult for most to communicate well still. If you are patient and good at using simplified English, you will be fine.

    3.)No, you can take whatever courses you want that are offered to exchange students. As long as they are accepted by your university and you must have at least 12 hours.

    4.)My roomate is from Mainland China - Yunnan Province. It's great for me because he teaches me a lot about the culture - I help him improve his English - he helps me with Chinese. It depends what roomate you have so can't really answer that question.

    5.)Nothing you need to learn in advance, everyone will know you are a "gwai lo" or foreigner. So just embrace it and be willing to learn - that's why you study abroad! It's fun, I promise.

    6.) Air conditioning is like 800HK a month, but I think more like 500HK if you're disciplined. You just scan your student card and refill money onto it when you need more - very simple. It's all set up for you already so just bring the money!

    7.)Usually, everyone just eats at the canteen. It's right downstairs from our residential towers. So, very cheap and convenient. Not the best food - but it suffices. It's a nice walk to the next restaurant so unless you get groceries just plan on being a regular at the canteen like the rest of the students living on campus.

    8.)I think I last two questions you had already up above somewhere:)

    Hope that helps! Don't worry - I remember I had so many questions as well and e-mailed the fire out of Christina Chan, lol. But just make sure you do what they tell you via e-mail or what have you. Other than that, your going to love it! Hong Kong has a little bit of everything - much to see and do here. So come ready to explore and learn!

    6.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your response! I am so excited to come to Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete